Acronym of Course-
About the Course-
P.hD. is an advanced postgraduate degree involving three or more years of independent research on an original topic. The course is carried out with the support of one or more expert academic supervisors. Results in a thesis that offers a significant original contribution to knowledge. Confers the title ‘Doctor’ upon successful candidates. Is the highest academic degree a student can achieve and is considered the de factoentrance qualification for a career in academia. Ph.D. is a broad-based course involving a minimum course credit requirement and research thesis. Ph.D. programs are available in a wide range of areas in Engineering, Science & Humanities and Social Sciences. One can also pursue Ph.D. through distance learning programs. Distance Learning Ph.D. meets the needs of students who are unable to attend on-campus classes. Distance Learning Doctoral Degrees however have less value as compared to Full-time Ph.D.
- The PhD has been viewed as a training process, preparing students for careers in academic research.
- As such, it often includes opportunities to pick up additional skills and experiences that are an important part of a scholarly CV. Academics don’t just do research after all. They also teach students, administrate departments – and supervise PhDs.
- The Ph.D. or equivalent has become a requirement for a career as a university professor or researcher in most fields.
- Doctorate Degree enables one to keep pace with the expanding frontiers of knowledge and provides research training relevant to the present social and economic objectives of the country.
- Philosophy professors often write articles and books in addition to teaching classes, this is also one of the good careers for them.
- A Master’s degree in relevant discipline with at least 55% marks from a recognized University. There is relaxation of 5% marks for candidates who belong to reserved category candidates.
- Admission in most of the Ph.D programs is based on the scores obtained in NET/SLET/JRF/GATE. Therefore, you must try to clear any of these exams so that you can get admission in a top University. If you don’t have any of these scores then you have to appear for other Ph.D entrance exam which are conducted by the University.
- Minimum performance in qualifying degree for General/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) category students
- Those candidates who have completed post graduation degree from a recognized university with above 55% marks are eligible for Ph.D course.
- 2)There is no age criteria for Ph.D course.
- Normally all candidates in Ph.D. program are required to be resident on campus. Candidates sponsored from reputed research organizations, who are conducting their Ph.D. work co-advised by a reputed guide at their organization, may be eligible to complete their Ph.D. off campus. Only for such sponsored candidates, the minimum residency requirement is 1 semester, during which they will need to complete the course requirements. However, frequent visits to the Institution where admission has been taken is still normally required.
- Valid GATE score is required for those wishing to pursue Ph.D. in the field of engineering or technology 60% marks or 6.75 CGPA on a 10-point scale
M.Sc. (Various Fields or specialisations or subjects)-
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Physics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mathematics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Finance and Economics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology
- Indian Institute of Science – Bangalore, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology – IIT Bombay, Mumbai
- Indian Statistical Institute – ISI Kolkata, Kolkata
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
Basically, the program includes:
- Qualifying Examination
- Preparation of Research Proposal
- Thesis Work
Desired Qualities in candidate-
- the candidates who are fond of studying are especially suited for this degree. Doctor of Philosophy is also suited for those who want to spend a few years more as a student.
- Individuals who want to pursue a career as a university professor or researcher in a field can enrol at any of the institutes offering doctor of philosophy degree.
- If one needs a Ph.D. for promotion in academic career, hike in salary, or stable job in academics then they can join this course. Such candidates should take admission in State-run Universities and part time Ph.D.’s courses.
Areas where Employment opportunities are available:
- Educational Institutes
- Human Services Industry
- Publishing Houses
- Philosophical Journals
- Research Institutes
- Law Firms
- Jobecturer & Professor
- Human Services Worker
- Novelist & Writer
- Journalist, Editor & Critic
- Philosophical Journalist
- Researcher & Scientist
- Independent Consultant
Average starting salary:
50K per month