Acronym of Course-
About the Course-
The course deals with the study of treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. A postgraduate degree in this course requires more of a practical approach towards education than theoretical.
- To help students establish a career in veterinary sciences
- To expose students to practical applications of the concepts read according to the chosen area of specializations.
- Giving students expertise in the chosen field of highest standards.
Veterinarians can also take up research work, either on their own or in association with the government such as ICAR (Indian council for Agricultural Research).
Master of Veterinary Science Degree will focus on advanced research activities, particularly in the field of wildlife protection and conservation so one can expect to have some adventure consequent of tours to jungles and other habitats.
Post-graduate degree in veterinary science and animal husbandry is the minimum qualification for acquiring jobs in the research and teaching areas.
- Candidates who have completed their B.V.Sc & AHB from a recognized by Veterinary Council of India, are eligible for M.VSc. Admission is based on marks obtained in PG Entrance Examination. Minimum age limit for M.V.Sc. is 20-22 years. Some Institutes do not have an upper age limit while some keep the upper age limit to 35 years.
Various Fields or specialisations or subjects-
- Animal Genetics & Breeding.
- Animal Nutrition.
- Animal Reproduction.
- Livestock Products Technology.
- Livestock Production & Management.
- Masters in Wildlife Science.
- Poultry Science.
- Veterinary Anatomy.
- Veterinary Medicine.
- Veterinary Microbiology.
- Veterinary Parasitology.
- Veterinary Pathology.
- Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology.
- Veterinary Physiology.
- Veterinary Biochemistry.
- Veterinary Surgery & Radiology.
- Veterinary Animal Husbandry Extension.
- Veterinary Public Health.
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
- Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh
- West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly
Subjects of Study vary according to one’s chosen field of specialisation.
Desired Qualities in the candidate-
- An attitude of compassion for animals
- Excellent observational skills
- Problem-solving skills
After completing the course, a student can look for job opportunities in both the government as well as private sectors.
Areas where Employment opportunities are available-
- Biological Products and Vaccine Product Plants.
- Breeding Farms / Hatchery.
- Corporate Bodies Eg. National Dairy Development Board, Milk Board, and Milk Unions.
- Diagnostic Laboratories – Pathology, Biochemistry, Microbiology.
- Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying.
- Disease Investigation Centres.
- Drug Research Institutions.
- Experimental Animal Unit.
- Experimental & Germ-Free Animal Facilities attached to Veterinary & Medical Institutions.
- Fishery Department.
- Marine Amusement Park.
- National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- Natural History Museums.
- Para Veterinary Staff Training Schools.
- Shelter Houses.
- Animal Care and Service Workers.
- Associate Scientific Manager.
- Biological Scientists.
- Manager Animal Farm.
- Partner, Assistant to a Practitioners.
- Pharmacy Research Scientists.
- Private Practice.
- Self Employment – Entrepreneur in L.S. Farms, Poultry Farms etc.
- Senior Medical Representative.
- Veterinary Consultant.
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians.
- Veterinarian / Veterinary Doctor.
- Veterinary Researcher.
- Veterinary Surgeon.
Average starting salary-
20k per month
Future Career Paths after M.Sc.-
- Research program
- Medical Practice